Pages

Wednesday 10 February 2010

Main course: Stuffed dukka girl with leftover oatcakes


Dinner: Staffordshire oatcakes with broccoli kale gratin and frijoles refritos
I ate most of that, not all, I wasn't a complete pig, but I did eat far too much because I didn't want to waste it, especially the greens. I'm still not great at preparing just enough, of course I could have put less on my plate and had the rest for lunch (what I normally do when I'm being sensible). This is one of my two major sins against my health (as well as my couple of times a week coffee habit), I know this will leave me all sluggish and probably with a sore stomach as I'm trying to sleep. I hope blogging about it will make me challenge it. As for the coffee, I had a small cup today and I was hyper all afternoon. The muscles in my right ass cheek kept twitching...it was freaky...maybe freaky enough to make my kick the habit for good. I'm thinking good subs would be mugicha (roasted barley tea) and barley coffee with frothy hot nut milk. Sometimes herbal tea just doesn't hit the spot, and I want something creamy and a little bit sweet and bitter.
Aaanyway, despite all that, dinner tasted pretty fab (if it was the same amount of avocado, I'd still be playing with it, eeeugh).
I made cashew "cheese" on sunday for lunches, basically soaked cashews blended up with nutritional yeast, sundried tomatoes, harissa spice blend, soy sauce and a little hemp and sesame oil. I decided to make the sauce for my gratin from the cheese, about 1/4 cup mixed into a pack of Oat Cream (250ml), another 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, a tsp dried chilli flakes and some salt. I poured this all over blanched curly kale and broccoli and baked for about 40 minutes. Just a twist of black pepper and it was ready to eat.

I then made refried beans: an onion fried in hemp oil, stirred in a can of borlotti beans, a big heaping tbsp tomato paste, 1 big tsp dried thyme and a very generous shake of hot paprika, as well as a tsp of dark brown sugar. Kind of boston bean flavours in refried beans.

It was very good with the kale broccoli gratin (it really was cheesy!) and staffordshire oatcakes- they're basically yeasted oat pancakes from some parts of Staffordshire in England, like Stoke-on-Trent. I used this recipe, although I also have a recipe from Bread: River Cottage Handbook No.3. I used warm water with about 100ml soya milk (just using a pack up). I also used all oatmeal (3/4 fine, 1/4 medium) instead of half fine oatmeal and half flour as I didn't want any refined wheat. They were very hard to turn over in one piece, but much tastier, the oats on their own taste much nuttier and toasty:)

No comments:

Post a Comment