Pages

Friday 21 May 2010

Switch it up? Going easy for now



Today's munchings were pretty similar to yesterday-
A fruit-based brekkie:

1/2 a melon, 1/2 punnet strawberries, a sprinkling of oat muesli and some live plain soy yogurt.

a banana mid-morning:

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~thelfer/ccm/images/banana.jpg
Don't eat me!

and lunchtime salad- although with one of last night's burgers to make a more substantial meal:

Grated carrot, celery, cucumber, yellow pepper and black olives, with some of my homemade seedy pesto as a dressing
I put a layer of raw spinach and rocket on the bottom of my dish before adding my chopped veggies and burger. It was really good, just perfect for lunch.

Sprouted aduki and sunflower burgers
150g dried adukis (maybe 2/3-3/4 cup), soaked for 12 hours, rinsed and sprouted (rinsing every 12 hours until they sprout)
100g sunflower seeds (a generous 1/2 cup), soaked for an hour or two
2 smallish onions
2 tbsp olive oil
4 sundried tomatoes, chopped (I soaked them along with the sunflower seeds)
100g (generous 1/2 cup) cooked brown rice or other cereal
Salt, thyme, kombu, plus other spices/herbs as desired

Cook the sprouted aduki beans with a teaspoon of thyme and some kombu in the cooking water. 30-40 minutes will do.
Cook the onions in a tablespoon of oil until nicely softened.
Puree the beans in a food processor, then add the sunflower seeds near the end to chop them up a bit. Then add in the onions, tomatoes and other herbs (I used fresh parsley, more thyme and smoked paprika).
I then fried them in a tablespoon of oil, or you could probably bake them. Before the frying stage, they could be frozen for another time:)
This made 6 decent size patties.

My tummy hasn't been this flawless since I first gave up dairy. I think Farty Girl was spot on when she commented on my recent post that often it's not the particular food, but sometimes one's tummy just gets fed up digesting something, and can handle an old enemy after a break. I should probably note that doesn't mean I'm gonna start eating dairy all of a sudden. That's off the menu for ethical reasons. But I'm hopeful I will be able to eat a little toast with my hummus every now and again, or make some cake, or have a big dollop of peanut butter.
For now, I am getting friendly with my gluten free flours, of which I already have a good selection- brown rice flour, buckwheat and gram (chickpea) flour. I love Dove's Farm flours:)


Tonight I'm making buckwheat galettes (6:2:1 water:buckwheat: rice, a little salt and oil and a pinch of xanthan gum). At the moment the batter is resting.

I'm going to munch these with lots of pesto, hummus and leftover salad.
Happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Galettes??? what are they? I like how you gave the recipe in parts. As a veteran bartender, that's how I think of cooking too. Btw. you should try making socca! The twins have been hard at work at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Galettes are another type of French flatbread/pancake, usually meaning Breton buckwheat pancakes, or sometimes a kind of puff pastry thing with a topping, kind of like savoury tarte tatin. I love socca- got a recipe in The Guardian a few years back. I make mine simply by same volume of water and gram flour and a tablespoon of oive oil and a pinch of salt, although it's on my to-do list to try on the Twin's experiments, I like the custardy versions. That's why I happen to already have gram flour around. I also use it to make pretty rocking vegan omelettes. Which I must do soon for the blog, with lots of nice early summer herbs and greens.

    ReplyDelete