Pages

Thursday 23 September 2010

Off on my hols

It's been nearly a week since I posted, yet I've been at home doing not very much!

I guess I haven't felt inclined to blog, as both my meals and exercise (or lack of) haven't been that interesting. I went out for a short run on Sunday and again on Tuesday, but haven't done anything since (except for some walks). I haven't been to the pool or out that much actually, as my tummy has been quite upset. I did, however, go to the hairdressers yesterday, which I really needed. There's nothing like upset guts to make you feel undesirable...but a wee tidy up made me feel a bit better, and then I went underwear shopping and got some nice Lush stuff (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel). My sister sent me my favourite Lush product in the post- Ceridwen's Cauldron. I can't wait to use it:)

The food I'm eating has been boring and gut wrenching. I have been eating cereal with soya milk or PB and jam on toast for breakfast, more or less the same for lunch, except more likely hummus on toast, and then some veggies and a small serving of pasta or rice, and snacking on apples in between. My tummy is distended, sore to touch, the bloating is at its worst at night, and it's stopping me sleeping. The pancreatic pain is mostly gone, however, just after my evening meal.

I'm not sure I'll be posting again for a week or so, I don't think I'll have internet access where I'm staying down in Dingle. I'm leaving tomorrow morning, stopping off midway to visit my sister in Maynooth. We will be marshaling at the triathlon I was supposed to be doing on Saturday, then we're staying way out in the middle of nowhere until next Saturday. The Dingle Peninsula has an absolutely stunning coastline, lots of coves and cliffs, but also the longest beach in Ireland (Fermoyle Strand, 10 miles), and is quite mountainous too.


Source
That's the coastline where we're staying.

We're intending to spend the week walking and hiking in the mornings until lunch, then mucking around in the water in the afternoons. The sea in Ireland is at its warmest in late September/early October. Our evenings will be quiet reading, as it gets dark now about 7:30pm. No pubs for us (given I can't drink alcohol, at least not for the foreseeable future)!

Anyway, I better start getting organised- lots of last minute picking up to do.
Until next week :)

2 comments:

  1. Part of me wants to say - STOP! Stop eating gluten, you poor thing! I know exactly how you feel and it SUCKS so bad. Awwww...

    BUT then I wonder... maybe this trip may change the way the food is affecting you? You'll be walking. You'll have your mind off food. You'll be on VACATION!

    I can't help but think back to my 10-day UK trip back in 08. I was just vegan then, and I ate TONS of gluten during that trip. It was all Finn Crisps and syrup waffles and nakd bars and oatly. I had a lot of soy too. Everywhere I went, I carried those little boxes with me! (It was SOOO easy to find healthy food stores in every single town - LOVED IT.) Anyway, I didn't get sick once. And I was on my feet CONSTANTLY.

    Hopefully it will be the same for you? :)

    I'm looking forward to hearing how you are feeling and how your trip went! Have a great time! It looks BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weird thing is, I actually realised gluten was a major problem for me on my last walking holiday in May. I ate a lot of bread because we were in France and it was the easiest vegan friendly portable food. I had a really awful time of it, which you can imagine wasn't fun trying to walk 25 miles with little toilet facilities in between...
    Luckily this time we are renting a house for a week, so I will have all my comforts and privacy if I have a bad time of it (which I kinda am, although it's more a lot of mid-abdomen pain).
    Thanks as always for your well wishes- I just keep thinking positive, that this gluten thing is only short term until all the tests are over. Then I'm giving it up for good, even if they don't find any disease/allergy/intolerance.
    Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete