Pages

Friday 29 January 2010

Friday dinner


My fridge is practically bare and it's been a busy week. I threw a few things together and amazingly it worked. On the rice- I'm head over heels with short grain brown rice, so much nicer than ordinary brown rice, and I'm trying to cut out processed wheat staples like bread and pasta- I think it's another sore tummy factor (along with sugar). Rice really is the best carb for sore tummies.
Cook some short grain brown rice (I get mine in The Nutmeg on Lombard Street) and add in some greens towards the end (as my fridge was empty, I chucked in some frozen green beans)
1 block of Cauldron tofu
1 tbsp hemp oil (or groundnut or rapeseed)
2 tbsp tamari shoyu (soy sauce)
2 tbsp apple cider or rice vinegar
1 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 tsp syrup from stem ginger jar
1 lump stem ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp hot crushed chillis
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
Mix together everything except the hemp oil and tofu.
Slice up the tofu and fry at a high temp, then turn over. Turn down the heat, add the pineapple to the pan, pour over the sauce, it will bubble up and coat everything in lovely fragrant stickiness. Serve over the rice and greens. This would be even better with lots of pak choi, spinach or kale and some crunchy lotus root. But as I said, empty fridge:( Shopping tomorrow!

I've also realised this week that the only breakfast that keeps me full up until lunch is smoothie. Mine always have a tablespoon of ground flaxseed. I ran out of bananas mid-week so I was downing smoothies with half a melon in the glass- let me tell you there were no sneaky morning naps on my keyboard this week! I was alive, alert, awake enthusiastic! This vegan thing has given me a new lease of life. It's like you get more life force because you're not stealing someone else's...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment