Pages

Monday 7 March 2011

Sugar free sweet potato muffins


1 very large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, baked, peeled and pureed
2 eggs
1/3 cup plain yogurt

Blend. Then:

1 cup flour of your choice (wholemeal self raising for me although you could use buckwheat, oat flour, almond meal etc)
1 tsp baking powder if your flour has no raising agents
1 tbsp butter/vegan margarine/coconut oil/sunflower oil
3 tsp mixed spice (I used Steenberg's pumpkin pie spice)

Rub the fat into the flour and spice. Then add in the sweet potato mixture.

1/3 cup dried fruit (I used chopped dried figs)

Mix into the batter, I added a handful of rolled oats at this stage too.

Spoon into a greased muffin tray and bake at 180C for 25 minutes.

Very yucky dark photo of the muffins. I put 6 in a box and froze the other four.
Note the week's supply of bananas (15!) and my drink stash in the background (Calvados and Frangelico, so yummy)

Today's frozen berry/yogurt/muesli mess aka breakfast:

Dinner: wakame brown rice noodles, Quorn pieces, savoy cabbage, creme fraiche, garlic, onion, thyme and smoked paprika


Lunch was Ashley's mayo-less egg salad with mixed leaves and I snacked on bananas, apple and an oat/apricot bar.

Two observations:
I am in a breakfast rut. I'm ditching yogurt and muesli for the next few mornings. Smoothies perhaps? I am soaking oatbran overnight for tomorrow.

I am using Quorn too much, it's so damn easy to prepare as it can go from freezer to pan to table in about 15 minutes- since I started buying it again my boyfriend won't eat lentil/nut burgers and he won't eat fish so I am a bit stuck for dense protein that suits us both. I am avoiding pulses because they definitely trigger my IBS:( I have some tofu in the fridge that I will have to do something interesting with.

Are you making pancakes tomorrow? I will probably make a plain batch so we can customise to our tastes- I am thinking banana and coconut for moi, MrPeskyRunner will definitely be having sugar in some shape or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment